Signal number boards

 I worked with my friend with the 3D printer to try to print the signal number board with raised numbers like the prototype, but the results were not clear enough to read the numbers for my block signal. He suggested to print them out on my home HP printer. I played around with the settings and created the numbers in Word and then imported the file in to Abobe Acrobat Pro to size it to scale. I spray painted a plain piece of paper the same color as the signal and then had to run the paper through the printer about 5-6 times to get the ink dark enough to clearly show. It's not the best printer, but it printed exactly the same spot on the paper each print to darken the letters, but not ghost them. I stick glued it to the signal and I think it turned out really good. Cheaper method then decaling and learned a new skill of painting paper and prints. Hopefully longevity isn't an issue, but if it's is, should be easy to scrap off the metal plate and then decal. It looks much better in person compared to the camera. Now it's time to mount the signals and start ballasting around them. 

7 sprays of Tamiya flat aluminum paint on a plain 20 lb piece of paper and also photo paper. It's what I had laying around at the house. Online videos show that 100 lb paper is recommended for airbrushing. I think my prints turned out okay. 

Initial trip through the printer. Can barely see the printed numbers. I ran it through the printer a few more times and then tested the results.

About 4 trips through the printer and test fit.

Cutting and determining which print looks the best.

6-7 runs through the printer finally got them dark enough to clearly read.

Finished product. Looks much better in person.


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sides of the depot assembled.

Work continues on the Blue Rapids depot build