I've been working on the concrete signal cabinet base. The Showcase Miniatures cabinet has a metal extension below the base plate that I could either try to cut off (no) or build in to the concrete base which is the option I decided to go with. I first rounded a corner on a piece of .010 x .060 Evergreen Scale Model styrene strip. Then I cut and built a box around the signal cabinet base to hide the extension with the rounded corner to the outer top to replicate the angle on the prototype concrete. 

 


The base is rounded so I used styrene rod to fill in the corners and then cut the overhang off.

  
 
 
Below is the cabinet in the base. I have yet to sand it to shape.

 

This is the base sanded and shaped to the final contour of the concrete base. It's just slightly oversized. I could sand more, but risk the metal base of the cabinet bulging the styrene out when I put everything together. 

 

The image below shows the concrete base pieces. I created a few more layers for the signal only base to match the base with cabinet's height. I loaned out my Dremel tool so I haven't had an opportunity to shape the concrete cabinet base to the correct contour and then glue everything together. Next step will be making it look like concrete. Then I'll paint my signals.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sides of the depot assembled.

Work continues on the Blue Rapids depot build