Mopac Pueblo line block signal build

 Happy New Year!

Over the past few months I've shifted my modeling focus and now I'm working on a set of ABS block signals used on the Missouri Pacific's Pueblo mainline. They will be part of a desk display diorama that I'm building. The scene will be the pair of signals with track, etc. and then I'm going to try to get a lineside telegraph pole in it also. I'm placing all of it in the top of a 8" piece of PVC pipe that I'll paint and apply scenery. I haven't decided how I want to operate the signals, but I do plan to have it automated either by time or set up to replicate a day of use according to the dispatcher sheets. 

 The pair of signals that I'm replicating are found between the towns of Herington and Hope, Kansas. These signals were installed prior to 1931. From 1930-1932 the Mopac did a major rework of the line to straighten, reduce grade, and other improvements to permit faster train schedules with heavier train loading.

I travel between my home near Chapman, Ks, to Hillsboro, Ks, to pick up feed for our barnyard animals. This permits me to stop and photograph the various signals still standing on the now defunct Pueblo main line. I had somewhat of a challenge because the signal boxes that I found used on the line are RRS and I'm using Showcase Miniatures excellent signal parts and they have a GRS cabinet. I got lucky and found a GRS cabinet that matches the Showcase HO scale version. It is located at mile point 456.6.The signals no longer have their displays, but there are a few signals that do and I used photos from them as a reference. Below are some images of the prototype signals.




 Here are some of the Showcase Miniatures links to the parts that I used. 

 https://www.showcaseminiatures.net/ho_scale/ho_scale_signals_wigwags_trackside_details/2353.html

https://www.showcaseminiatures.net/ho_scale/ho_scale_signals_wigwags_trackside_details/2368.html

https://www.showcaseminiatures.net/ho_scale/ho_scale_signals_wigwags_trackside_details/2342.html 

Next post will have photos and comments on my construction.

Thanks!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sides of the depot assembled.

Work continues on the Blue Rapids depot build