Weathering track and the line poles

 Next up is the weathering and detailing of the track and the line poles. Because this is a small diorama, I want to try to be as realistic as I can with these details and used Lance Mindheim's track weathering technique. Starting with Micro Engineer code 70 track and Rix Products Railroad Telephone Poles and Cross arms, I first sprayed everything with Tamiya Insignia White (US Navy) spray paint. This provides a base for the weathering. I masked the top of the rails with masking tape.


I then used Lance's technique of washes of Burnt Umber oil paint thinned with mineral spirits. Lance says to get the mix the consistency of tea.

Initial coat.
I decided to go heavier with my burnt umber to model newer ties and line poles. I ended up with four coats of the wash to get to my liking.

I then highlighted random ties with Polly Scale Oily Black paint to give the them a new creosote look. I still have to add the insulated joint bars and paint the rail.


I did the same with the line pole to represent creosote that pooled at the base of the pole like I've seen. You'll note it's half way on the pole in the image. The line poles on the Pueblo line were close to the ground. For instance the metal brace on the bottom cross arm is only 12 feet above the ground. I'll bury the pole in the foam insulation. 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sides of the depot assembled.

Work continues on the Blue Rapids depot build